PTI founder Imran Khan does not want to be released through any political deal similar to the one made by PML-N President Nawaz Sharif, a senior party leader has said.
Speaking on Geo News programme “Capital Talk”, PTI’s Barrister Umair Niazi said that negotiations often require major concessions. He said Nawaz Sharif was a clear example, adding that he had to leave practical politics, go into exile, and sign an agreement as part of his release.
Responding to a question from host Hamid Mir about whether Imran Khan was avoiding a deal to prevent a similar outcome, Niazi said it was “exactly that kind of situation”. He suggested that Imran Khan was not willing to compromise in a way that could limit his political role.
Imran Khan has been in jail for more than two years, and since 2023, PTI has remained in conflict with the ruling coalition. The party has held several marches towards Islamabad demanding his release, but these attempts were met with crackdowns and arrests.
PTI also entered negotiations with the government in early 2025, mediated by National Assembly Speaker Ayaz Sadiq. However, the talks failed after PTI withdrew, saying the government did not form judicial commissions on the May 9, 2023 and November 26, 2024, incidents within the agreed seven-day deadline. Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif later proposed forming a parliamentary committee to continue talks, but PTI rejected the offer.
Last month, PML-N Senator Rana Sanaullah stressed the need for trust-building among the country’s top political leaders, saying that no major political breakthrough would be possible without confidence at the highest level.
Recently, concerns over Imran Khan’s health have increased tensions between PTI and the government. Reports about his deteriorating vision due to an issue in his right eye have become a fresh point of debate.
During the same programme, Rana Sanaullah was asked about Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Sohail Afridi’s announcement of forming an “Imran Khan Release Force”. He responded that nothing significant would happen after Eid. When asked whether Imran’s meetings with lawyers and family could be restricted in Ramadan due to street protests, Sanaullah said that such a situation would be “understood”.
Barrister Niazi said he was not aware of any detailed party-level consultation about the proposed release force. He added that Imran Khan has given full authority to National Assembly Opposition Leader Mehmood Khan Achakzai and Senate Opposition Leader Allama Raja Nasir Abbas to handle talks with the government and to decide on protest plans.
In a separate interview on Geo News programme “Aaj Shahzeb Khanzada Kay Sath”, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister’s Special Assistant on Information Shafiullah Jan denied any backdoor contacts with the government. He said the sit-ins in Islamabad and KP were ended due to orders from the Peshawar High Court and because of Ramadan.
Jan said the party is planning its next steps and may resume action after Ramadan. He criticized the courts, suggesting that PTI cases were being handled differently compared to others.
He also rejected claims that the proposed release force was unrealistic. He said Imran Khan had given Chief Minister Afridi responsibility for street movements and that the new force would be peaceful. According to him, it will not be a political wing, and anyone can join through formal membership and an oath. He added that the force will be dissolved once Imran Khan is released.



